Got my flat panel coop heater!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Sheriff, Dec 9, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I know this is a topic of hot debate but I wanted to heat my coop a bit at night. It gets cold here but then there are times like the last few nights where it has gotten into the low 20's. My California chickens aren't used to that! Plus I have some youngsters in there in a rabbit hutch under a 60 watt ceramic lamp that wasn't even keeping them warm enough. So I got it yesterday after a 2 and a half week wait. I installed it by screwing in four screws and turned it on at 6:30 p.m. I went down to the coop at 10:30 and although it was still cold in there it was definitely warmer than it has been. I have one of the on at 35 degree off at 45 degree outlets that I will use on normal California nights. Here's what it looks like. No fan and it is very warm but not hot to the touch. For those with fancy coops it can be painted to match your decor. I don't have to worry about that. I let my girls decorate their own space and this is what they came up with. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MelissaR

MelissaR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Who did you buy your heater from? *and* What size did you go with?

I've been looking at them but haven't been able to decide on what size.

Thanks!

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I got the one called the Flat Panel Coop Heater. It is 24"x24", 400 watts, 120 volt. My coop is insulated vinyl and it is 7'x7'. The heater actually comes in this box:

[​IMG]

No where on it is a chicken coop mentioned. It is safe for pets though, according to the box. I was also going to order the radiant wall heater as seen on some of the chicken coop sites for my breeding coops but found it for less than half the price at Amazon.com!

It pays to know what you are actually buying and shopping around. It turns out the price I paid for the flat panel heater thru Henspa was not too much more than I could have gotten it elsewhere had I known what it actually was. But, most places that sell it say it is sold out and currently unavailable.

I did talk to Melonie at Shop the Coop this morning and they are supposed to be getting a shipment tomorrow of the heaters.

Good luck.

Mary

4. MelissaR

MelissaR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank you!

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] A heated coop in California! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:We expected this! [​IMG]

7. tinyscrafts

tinyscrafts Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Lakewood
    Even in California it occasionally turns FREEZING COLD! it's a shock to the system and I'm worried about my chickies too, they aren't used to it...

8. naturegrrl

naturegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Me too - it's been dropping down to about 27-30 here at night on the "balmy" central coast, and the girls are starting to look a little disgruntled at bedtime. I'm torn between letting them "toughen up", and coddling them. I haven't gotten to the heater stage yet; just feeding them each warm oatmeal just before bed. [​IMG] I am intrigued by the panel design of this heater; have you seen any that are slightly smaller? My henhouse is 7' x 3'.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:We expected this! [​IMG]

All I can say is ..... [​IMG]

10. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    OK, so I'm in SoCal too and wondered about how cold young chicks can take it. I have some 6 week old chicks, they are in the garage at about 60 degrees, can I put them out in an unheated coop when the temps are going down into the 40's and lower when they are still so young? (I've thought about a space heater to be honest)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by