Got my flock today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BBQJOE, Sep 27, 2015.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I think they're a bit freaked out at having so much room. They were picked from a room with about 200 other 8-10 week old birds.
    I ended up picking out 8 RIR ladies, 2 Anconas, (I think) and 1 RIR rooster.
    I'll get some pics together when they're not so skittish.

Finally happy to have some tenants for this coup I've been working on for almost a month.

On a strange note, the breeder/seller said never to feed chickens fruit, or potatoes. Anyone else heard of this?

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Congrats on the new chickens! Those are awesome breeds!

I'm not sure why he would say that. Fruit is wonderful and natural for chickens to eat, and they LOVE it! However, raw potatoes can be toxic to animals (and people too).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Definitely some conflicting info.

4. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    I agree with GitaBooks on this, Fruit is wonderful and natural food for chickens and raw potatoes are toxic. My chickens enjoy eating the fruit that falls from the trees in my orchard.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Congratulations on getting the flock. :eek:) X2 on the other posters; chickens love fruit and I feed it to mine quite often with no harmful side effects. However uncooked potatoes are toxic and should not be fed to animals including chickens. Good luck with the new flock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    congratulations on your new flock Joe. Maybe you can sing that rooster song and get them in the mood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by