Got my goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Broke Down Ranch, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    DH and I picked up our goats yesterday. Meet the newest members of our family [​IMG]

This is Lefty. She's ½ La Mancha, ¼ Boer, ¼ Nubian
    [​IMG]

This is our little Nubian buckling Lucky. He had pnuemonia when he was a few weeks old.
    [​IMG]

This is Girlfriend. She's ½ Nubian, ½ Boer
    [​IMG]

And finally this is Tippy our ½ Boer, ½ Nubian puppy dog. She is just as sweet as she is pretty [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HR Patterson

HR Patterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    Very nice lookin' herd. [​IMG]

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Congrats on your new goats!

IMO they are all very thin, esp for having Boer ancestry. I'd break out the dewormer and pour on the alfalfa....maybe with some BOSS added in. Beet pulp will also help.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL. I wonder why Lefty is named Lefty..

-Kim

5. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Yes, the buckling is the worst. We did worm them as we were loading them into the truck. What is BOSS? And how is beet pulp used? I do want to "fatten them up" but don't know what to feed above and beyond goat feed and hay. Can I give them alfalfa cubes? What do I have to watch for to prevent bloating?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Congratulations.......They are beautiful [​IMG] Your so lucky to be able to have them.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS)

I was going to say they look thin too, but I also think part of it could be the Nubian in them. I know my Toggs are thinner than the boers, but Nubians as I recall are thin goats as well, being dairy and all.
    Oh well, given a few weeks at their new home, I am sure they will be plump in no time![​IMG]

8. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    So how much BOSS do I give them?? I know I should have researched more but I am the world's worst at jumping in with both feet.... :|

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Haha aren't we all bad about that jumping in thing!

When I have one that needs weight, I build it up to 1 cup of BOSS per day in two feedings. Mine are minis, tho, so you might do two cups.

We use alfalfa pellets, because goats can't chew the cubes well and they waste alfalfa hay like crazy.

As far as the beet pulp, we use the shredded variety and mix it in the goat feed. We use a 2-1 ratio on it (2 parts pulp to 1 part feed plus one part oats).

As with any animal, introduce feed changes slowly and you should be fine. Of course, you can offer them grass hay free choice without too much concern, which will help also with the gain.

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:My friend Karen raises Nubians and all her goats are quite a bit thicker than the ones pictured. Hers are beefy, little things, not like a Boer goat or anything but still, they are quite "well-rounded". It may just be the way she feeds hers. LOL Feed anything too well and too much it will be "well rounded". [​IMG]

Your goats will fill out in no time!

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by