Got my incubator today!!!

jenichick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NC
I am going to get it set up and watch the temps etc until my eggs get here. I am going to get a hygrometer/thermometer from Lowes and a water weasel.

Here's the conversation that followed getting the incubator today:

My poor hubby - he said, so you only wanted 10-15 hens, right? Yeah, that's right, now you've got 15 hens, 16 babies in the brooder, and eggs on the way??? I said yep. So we need to expand the run huh, yep.....and couple of breeding pens too if I could dear....OH I see, so.....what.....are we in the chicken business now or something....no just a hobby, but I could sell the purebred eggs for hatching... or pairs of hatched babies, or started pullets.....I think he may have rolled his eyes and walked away at that point...hee hee

Last edited:
Good Job Jeni, you handled the very well.
gig.gif

K625, I got the hovabator with circulated air, big picture window and automatic turner. I bought it from a hatchery for $110. I think it holds around 50 eggs.

I've seen the little one you posted the link too, but too many people told me that the results aren't that good for hatches. Seems like the smaller the bator the more problems they have from what I found out.

Jeni, I love the conversation with your DH!!! I've had a couple just like it with mine!! He thinks I'm nuts!!

Good luck with your new bator. Before you know it you'll be hatching little fuzzy butts and selling eggs and hatching more fuzzy butts and. . . . . Yikes!! It sounds like you are going to become a chickenaholic/hatchaholic!!!!!

Lori

Don't we love conversation with our DH's? I'm still researching which bator I'm going to buy and I'm on a waiting list for eggs. When I informed my DH of this he asked "when is my basement going to be full of chicks again?" (As our first batch from the hatchery lived downstairs) His basement is his & his buddies area with a theatre room, pool table, weights, movie posters, and etc. Secretively, I know the boys love to look at the chicks when they are down there.
big_smile.png

Quote:
ha, ha ha,, guess what, I have my babies in DH's shop, right next to the refriderator! He was so happy to get his shop back when I moved the first batch out to the coop, and this time he was like "do you have to put em in the shop"? I said yep....
big_smile.png

People at work think I'm crazy (problably long before I got chickens). Today I went to a coworker to show him a bug in an application I was installing, and I said check this out, am I crazy, or is this a bug.....he said "probably both", hee hee....I don't care....
wee.gif

Poor DH's! I do have to say though - your chicken coop is really nice. If he built that for you, he should get the husband of the year award - well he is also putting up with more chicks. LOL! Can't wait to see your posting of your babies when they hatch.

Yeah Heidi, like my siggie says - he's a great husband. We had our broody hen hatch a baby today, and just now in bed he said, "you didn't wish your new babies sweet chicken dreams", how cute, because when we got our first batch he caught me tucking them in and he said, what did you say "sweet chicken dreams", I said yep.

He did put his foot down though and said NO incubator in our bedroom, so it goes in the nursery (grandkids bedroom) where it belongs. I can deal with that, hee hee!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom