Got my mandies!!!...finally (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1lpoock, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    After searching for weeks, I have finally found some mandarin ducklings. And who would've thought, the guy lives about a half hour away! He also has wood ducks and all kinds of pheasants...who knows, I may come home with more than I was going for! I can't wait, I'm going over there today. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Congrats! Can't wait to get a pond made so we can get ducks!!

3. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    that is wonderful!! remember the pics [​IMG] you know we love them

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I got them!! I just hope they are both mandarins...because the guy had wood ducks too. Can anyone tell the difference. Plus, one is bigger than the other, I think it is just a bit older. I try to see if they eat, but if they see me they just stare. I really hope they'll live through the first couple days. The guy breeder said come this fall, if I have anything but a male and a female, he'll swap one with me since we live so close! Here are the pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    oh so cute! Where are you ? I wish I had a person with Woodie and Mandie babies 1/2 hr from me! I'm waiting for my Mandie babies to hatch, but the hen is in control of them and only she knows what's going on with them...waiting.... [​IMG]

6. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I live in Northern Ohio...right on lake erie....is there anything I can do to make them eat because I'm not sure if they are?

7. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Songster

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think that is a common problem with brooding mandarins and woodies. Hopefully someone will come onand give you some help, but in the meantime try meal worms or if you have another duckling, put them in with them so the domestic duckling will show them how to eat.

Good luck.. [​IMG]

8. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I don't have any mealworms...i could go pick some up, and my other ducks are over a month old now [​IMG]

9. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    my feedstore sells freeze dried meal worms in a bag...I picked some up so that if and when any Mandie babies hatch, I'll float the worms in some water for them. Also I'll put out sporting bird crumbles in a very shallow pan (from the bakery danish we just polished off [​IMG] )
    so they can reach it.

PS- I'll be in Jamestown NY in less than a month...is your duckling supplier anywhere near there?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  10. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    He lives in Berlin Heights Ohio...that would be 3 hours 20 minutes away from Jamestown. Where are you located...you might be close to passing him on your way to New York.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: