Got my meal worms. Do I refrigerate them???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Ok, I ordered my mealworms for The Wormman. I only got 1000. They came in a mesh bag w/ a wadded up newspaper in them. Do I put them in the fridge for storing? Do I need to get them in something different than what they were shipped in?

Thanks
    Kim

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Do you want to breed the mealworms or not? If you don't want them to morph and breed, then you should put them in the warmest part of your fridge for storing (the warmest is usually in the door). You should probably feed them before storing them in the fridge for nutritional value (called gut loading). I would replace the newspaper with bran, but I have known people to store them in shredded newspaper or pine shavings.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not sure about that - mine are in a plastic bug catching thingie I "borrowed" from my son.

I don't think the fridge will kill them but I'm not 100% sure.... they do go dormant under 60 or so I believe.

Put some chicken crumbles or something in a plastic container (clean) and then pop em in... cut a potato in half and put it cut side down ontop of the crumbles...

GOOD LUCK!

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I think eventually I'd like to breed them so I am not having to pay for them all the time. I just don't have everything right now. I know there is lots of info here on how to breed them. So will do a search on that.

Instead of using a potatoe will a carrot or apple work too?

Kim

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Carrots and apples work fine. The veggies and fruits are mainly for providing moisture, so you will need to give them bran, or as another suggested, some chicken feed. As long as the temperature of your fridge isn't too cold, you should be able to store them safely in there for up to a year. They'll grow and breed normally whenever you decide to take them out of the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by