Got my mealworms today :)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mochicken, Oct 31, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I ordered 1000 mealworms from ebay so I can get another farm of them started, I used to raise them for my bearded dragon. I ordered 1000 large ones and they came with bedding.

I wanted to make sure they taste good for chickens so I gave a few to my chicks, they are the best critics lol, they are only 10 days old but they know mealworms are something they LOVE lol

2. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i need to try this again.i have an un-used reptile rack with heat tape.i used it before and had a nice colony going with 3 different stages going and got mites.had to toss the whole thing to the chickens.it happened in the summer and in Ga,its humid.i want to try this again now that its cold and see what happens.

good luck with yours.

3. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    is it really easy to do the meal worm farm thing? I have too many projects going now but could always stick in one more LOL

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Very easy, if you google mealworm farming you will see many different "styles" of how to's but the easiest thing to do is buy 1000 large mealworms from a breeder or ebay or something, then put them in bran and put a wedge of carrot or potato in there, they become beetles, breed, lay eggs, hatch into larva ( mealworms ) and then they go pupa and then beetles to restart the cycle. If you keep the bedding dry you can just change it every couple months and they multiply 10 fold in a couple-three months.

5. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    you mean bran flakes cereal
    where do I keep them and do I have to sort thema nd keep them in different tubs?

6. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:Usually it's wheat bran from a livestock farm supplier. I like to use rolled oats (the old fashion oatmeal). You do not need to separate them or keep them in different tubs. You can start and keep the farm in one container...very, very easy. You can keep them anywhere in your house. Some people keep them in their closets, under the sink, in the diningroom, livingroom, laundry room, under the bed, on top the fridge. They do develope quicker when it's warmer so pick a warm spot!

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I like to use unmedicated chick starter. I have lots of it on hand, and it has better nutritional content that bran or middlings or other stuff that people like to keep them in...besides, they are easier to sift out of chick starter!

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I keep mine in one container and use layer pellets as my substrate. I freeze it first for a few days , before putting it in the colony, that way I didn't have to buy anything extra.

9. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    Thank you I now have a new way to agrivate the hubby LOL
    I might have to try it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by