Got my meaties and some Q's..... Could use some quick answers....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oceanseve, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Okay so I'd read enough on here to expect crap out the wazoo, but I didn't realize it was from day 1 [​IMG]

we are at day 4 and I just happily removed the paper towels covering the bedding since it was getting very annoying changing the papertowels contsantly. They are REALLY going after the pine shavings. Much more than my layer chics ever have. So are they more likely to eat shavings because of what they are? Should I cover it back up for another week or something? and I've also noticed at least one (but not a lot of them) have very liquid diahrea - suggestions?

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I started mine on wood shavings, med size, and never used the paper towels. The meatie-monsters found the food and are none-the-worse for it. They investigated the wood chips but quickly realized what food was. They'll be fine.
    Poop Poop Poop, Eat Eat eat, sleep. Got their routine down?
    I had to start removing their food at nighttime. I seperated mine from the layer chicks.

3. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Mine are seperate. I just wasn't expecting the the massive onslaught of poop from the beginning, I have three brooders (large produce bin cardboard boxes [​IMG] ) and figured I could seperate them as they got too nasty, but dmn. I was hoping it would be about the three week mark when they tell you to start restricting feed. I just went to check on them again, they seem to have given up on the shavings. It just worried me cause they all went after it and didn't seem to be giving it up.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Don't worry too much about runny poos. Mine seem to have it a lot, and they end up fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by