Got my MPC chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rachelbinnc, Sep 1, 2009.

1. rachelbinnc

rachelbinnc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Hey guys,

My order from MPC arrived today. When I hadn't heard from the post office by about 8am, I assumed I would get them tomorrow. Nope! Got the call at about 11am. I opened them up for a quick glance at the post office because everyone in line wanted to see who was making all that noise. All chicks arrived healthy and peeping. And I've never seens so many smiles at the post office! We got a variety.

1 Australorp
    1 Rhode Island Red
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Easter Egger (she's so fat!)
    1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
    1 Wyandotte
    1 Cuckoo Maran
    2 teeny, tiny Black Silkies (these were subsitutions for buff brahmas)

This is our second batch of chicks this year. We lost our first six to raccoons at about 6 weeks. We've learned from our mistakes, though, and are hoping these girls are with us for a long time. I'll post pictures ASAP!

2. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    Congrats! We just got ours today too from MPC!![​IMG]

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Im glad to hear a post office actualy had a smile in it, ,may i ask what MPC stands for?

4. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    mypetchicken.com

5. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    How are your babies doing?

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    How nice. You have a great variety! I have some SS Hamburgs and they aren't flighty at all. Actually pretty lovable. They are my daughters favorites.

7. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    I got my 8 2 week olds from MPC, too.

I got your Buff Brahmas. [​IMG] (they are my flightiest, tho)

I was happy everyone made the trip so well and the folks behind me at the Post Office wanted to see those peepers in the box so we all ooh'ed and awww'ed at the post office before I left.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  8. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Congrats!
    I'm impatiently awaiting my polish. They should be here today tomorrow at the latest [​IMG]

9. rachelbinnc

rachelbinnc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Hey guys,

Still haven't posted pics but will as soon as I can. I'm actually a teensy bit worried about my guys. They are soooo quiet compared to my last batch of chicks. I've never had day-old chicks, so I'm not sure if this is normal? They are all eating, drinking, pooping, walking around some. But also seem really tired. Napping a lot. (Got tons of pics of them at about 10pm last night passed out like a bunch of drunken frat boys--just have to get them off my camera now). Anyone have any ideas for how to perk them up? Is this just how chicks are when they've spent a day in the mail? Is it possible that they are too cold or something? I lowered the heat lamp so that it is closer to them and they seemed to like that. Wish I could get paid for sitting around and fiddling with the chicks. Instead I have to be at work worrying over them!

They are sweet, sweet, sweet.
    The silkies I got are the tiniest chicks I have ever seen.

10. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:They sound normal [​IMG] I've seen my chicks walking then suddenly drop fast asleep lol They'll start perking up in a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by