!!!!GOT MY NEW BABIES!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hendrix25, Apr 30, 2009.

1. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    After a 4 hour round trip drive, I finally have ducklings! [​IMG]

I went to get two Cayuga ducklings and came home with three. The ride home was interesting.
    Their names are

Racer, Axel, and Schaeffer.

Reason for names...My husband and his best friend drive racecars. Their cars are black and green (one reason I wanted Cayuga ducklings.) Axel is a part for a racecar and Schaeffer is the brand name of the oil they use.

I have one that is a chatter box, to say the least. So I am assuming that one is a female (Schaeffer). I'm still a little undecided on the other two. One doesn't really quack at all, so I 'm thinking that one is a male (Racer) and the other one (Axel) is semi noisy but "his" quack is a little rougher than Schaeffer's, so that's why I'm guess their sexes. I could be totally wrong but I want them to learn their names.

Their history is: About a week ago their mom was killed by a predator and the owner decided to sell me some. They haven't really been "tamed" bc the owner was letting mom raise them. So they are a little on the skittish side, but I'm hoping with time they will warm up to me.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions and stories to post on here. Below are pictures of their first night at their new home.

[​IMG]

L -> R
    Racer, Schaeffer (loud mouth), Axel.

[​IMG]

Axel, Schaeffer, Racer

Schaeffer and Racer have yellow patches above the beaks, and Axel has a solid black head. All three have yellow chest, which I was surprised to see on Black Cayugas.

Wish me luck!!! BTW I'm taking them to work with me tomorrow... will post pictures later tomorrow.

Heather

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Congrats! Too cute!

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    SOOO excited for you! Have fun!

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    So cute. [​IMG]

Make sure to cuddle them no matter how much they say they don't want it!

Are you sure they aren't black Swedish?
    My Cayugas didn't have any yellow. Lol

5. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Yeah I'm sure...lol. I did research and seen that sometimes the babies have some yellowing and then it goes away as they get older. The mommy and daddy were both solid black Cayugas.

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:Yeah I'm sure...lol. I did research and seen that sometimes the babies have some yellowing and then it goes away as they get older. The mommy and daddy were both solid black Cayugas.

Phew! I hate it when people mis-represent their stock!
    At least you know what you're getting.

Cayugas are VERY pretty when they get their green feathers in.
    (The black feathers do shine green as well, but it seems they also get green ones in too... Tell me if I'm insane! [​IMG])

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Love them. Congratulations. I am having so much fun with my ducks. I am sure you will too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by