Got my new birds home!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmerbly, Sep 17, 2012.

1. farmerbly

farmerbly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    Ok...I got my new birds home finally. I put them in the coop when I got them home. They did go straight to roost. The next morning I let them out of the coop into their new run. Several of the birds layed eggs on the nesting boxes but a couple layed on the floor of the coop. How do you get all the birds to lay in the boxes? I picked up 14 hens and a rooster.
    BP

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Give them time to get settled and take in their new surroundings and see how great the nest boxes are. Also, put a couple of eggs in the nest boxes to give them the idea. Good luck!

3. farmerbly

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info I know one that layed on the floor yesterday, layed in the boxes today! She is the only white egg layer I have. I got 7 eggs yesterday and 5 today. Some of the girls are not laying obviously. Will most of them start again when they get used to their new home? I have 5 Red Sex Links, a White Leghorn, a Production Red, a Buff Orphington, 2 Americanas maybe just laying age, a Silver Laced Wyndotte, a Barred Rock, and a White Rock. My rooster is a Barnevelder(sp). All of the eggs were in the boxes today! Wahooo!
    BP

4. farmerbly

Aug 25, 2012
    Oh sorry left one out.... a Black Austerlorp(sp)
    BP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by