Got my new pullets today... Pics later.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jun 2, 2008.

1. :mad:

I just got my ready to lay pullets from my neighbor down the road.
    5 of them.

They had had their beaks clipped!
    I know it's a common thing for commercial places but it still ticks me. How long will it take for their beaks to grow? They will grow out right?

Poor girls....

At least I will have eggs soon!

And no worry about putting them with my 6 week olds, my top pullet baby Betty a cuckoo maran is holding her own and putting everyone in their place. It's sort of comical really. The new girls are pretty laid back.

2. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Sorry, I have no idea about the beak. Congrats on the new family members though!
    [​IMG]

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I always thought that once clipped they didnt grow back

4. Yes, I'm finding that now... I used the search to look for "Clipped Beaks" and found alot of people saying that they will be like that forever [​IMG]

Poor girls.... I had no idea that they would come like that.

One of them has a slightly crooked beak, the bottom is out of line with the top. and the bottom is sort of forked. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to file the points a bit for her, it looks uncomfortable and like it's interfering with her foraging.

They are hanging out in the coop while everyone else is out in the sunlight in the run.
    We threw some scratch down in the run when we first put them in as a treat for everyone and you could tell they had no idea what it was. Now I feel more like I rescued them than anything else....
    I hope they learn to like it here, they must be so out of it right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by