Got my new Sweeter heater today....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Sheriff, Dec 28, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I am going to install it tomorrow in one of my breeder pens. It is the ceiling mounted, 40 inch, 150 watt model. We plugged it in and it puts out a pretty good amount of heat. For now I will turn it on at night until the chicks are older, then I will use a Thermocube so it only comes on when the temp drops below 35 and off at 45. It is for my light Sussex birds. They are all 9 to 12 weeks old now. I have had them five weeks. Some of the smaller girls are still sparsely feathered.

Here is what it looks like out of the box. There are clips on the ends and chain to hang it. More pics tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Edited to correct typo. The heater size is 40" wide, not 48'.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Looks good! Anxious to see how it does. Keep the reports coming!

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Will do!

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We just got some of those heaters...I don't like them. Not enough oomph for Iowa winters, I hope it works better for you.

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Your winters have more oomph than mine! The area I want to warm is only 4x4 which is what the 150 watt is recommended for. We'll see. You want to sell me yours cheap? [​IMG]

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Ryu--how big is your coop, is it insulated, and what kind of temps are you dealing with? That information would be very helpful for others thinking of a heater. Also how many watts did you use?

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:It is a 4x4 breeding coop that looks like this. The picture shows two of my pens sitting side by side.

I bought the 150 watt. It rarely gets terribly cold here, but we did have several days in a row of subfreezing temps. Daytimes are 50 to 60 right now.

[​IMG]

8. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We bought a few of the 24" size--I can check on the wattage I want to say it's 150W though. We probably average 15F in the deep winter at night, we were 0F this morning 16F daytime today.

We rescued a feral kitten right before the blizzard hit and have it over the kittens bed and water in one of our unused small rooster coops in the unheated barn 2'x4'. The barn itself is probably 80'x80' with a hay loft, and the lower level walled into 6 interior sections. Not drafty, the walls are pretty tight with siding over original wood and the sections can be opened and closed for air flow needs. To keep the water from freezing for the kitten we have the heater 6 inches off of the ground. We have one hung for some fully feathered youngsters in the same barn in a different coop (8'x10') as a heat source in case they get cold. They have pretty much ignored it in favor of a regular heat lamp. It is hanging about 18" off of the ground.

We are going to try one in the heated barn for one of our winter hatches, it is a smaller 30'x40' building. It is heated to 40-45F with a LP heater for the breeding, show, and bantam birds. I imagine it would be most useful in there, over food and water to create warms spots to encourage eating and drinking.

To my bare hand in freezing weather, I can only feel heat off of it for maybe 2-3 inches. It is keeping the kitten's water bowl from freezing, apparently it travels at least 4 inches. If you didn't need much more heat, I could see them being nice alternative to heat lamps. I think for your situation, where it is warmer, they would work just fine.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    post removed.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am barely north of you and if I do not put a heat source over my waterers they freeze SOLID.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by