Got My New Zealands!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KellyGwen, Aug 10, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hi All!

I just wanted to share my excitement... I just bought my first pair of breeding NZ rabbits... They've been named Sonny and Cher... Cher is pretty relaxed (just a few foot stomps) but Sonny would like to see me dead and has already clawed me pretty well... He is handsome though!! I plan on bribing them both into trusting me with carrots and dandelions!

Here are some pics...

Cher...

[​IMG]

Sonny...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. natapple

natapple Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    central florida
    I hope you have fun with them ;-)[​IMG]

3. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hahaha.... yeah... I need armor!! [​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We had a pair of NZ when I was a kid but they were apparently the same sex (I assume male). We couldn't tell them apart so they were both named "Betty".

Sounds strange until you learn that I thought "Fido, Rover, and Spot" were cat names until I was about a teenager. Thanks for that, Mom.

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Sonny and Cher are adorable! However, both look like females, are you sure you didn't post two pics of Cher? Males don't (or shouldn't) have a dewlap. Either way, both cute and look like my pair Colorado and Georgia!!

6. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Quote:Yeah, I questioned the guy about that dewlap... but he assured me that this was a male and had been used for breeding in the past... [​IMG] His dewlap (I've been calling it his goatee) isn't as big as Chers... it it only right under his chin... Hers goes all the way across...

Well, if Sonny turns out to be Sunny then I'll just have to get a "real" male and have a trio! Or I could just let my Holland Lop Chubs "have a go" but I really don't think I could eat lop eared bunnies... they are too darned cute... plus Chubs is my pet and I really couldn't kill his babies [​IMG] I'll find out later this week when I put Cher in with him and see what happens...

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Well, if he is old enough to breed, it should be easy to tell by looking, if he is a buck. If you are using for meat rabbits (and not showing) then I guess the dewlap doesn't really matter. Good luck with them!! My doe is due this week!

8. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Quote:Haha! You want to come over and look?? The last time I took a peek at his privates he made me bleed! He's a feisty one!

Yeah, I'm not planning on showing him, I am just breeding them for meat. What do you think of Cher though? Does she look "showable"? We were planning on showing a couple of our chickens and if Cher's a looker maybe we could show her too! [​IMG]

Good luck with your babies!! [​IMG]

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Well she is certainly cute enough!! It is hard to tell from pics, but it is always worth a try. I mean, that is how you learn!! Plus every judge is different, some may love her, others not, but you should learn stuff about her by their comments and remarks on her show card. Sometimes I show one just to get another opinion on them.

I love their names, they are too cute! I always like to do that, have a theme to my names. My daughter thinks I am nuts, but oh well, tell me something I didn't know! [​IMG]

10. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Enjoy the new rabbits! I have over 60 myself! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by