Got My NZ White rabbits and a qustion about hay

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Wohoo i went and got me a doe and a buck there about 13 weeks old so by spring i should have some babys. And also by that time they will have there own shed to live in. They lady i got them from was really nice she showed me her place and what its like to raise rabbits very informational. But she told me they need nothing in there cage but water all the time and feed once a day no hay or anything else becouse nz can get upset tummy's real easy. I thought rabbits need hay all the time. She is raising this for a commercial meat rabbit market so maybe they told her not to. But they looked so pitiful setting in there cages with nothing to do.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, I give my rabbits a little bit of hay every day. No alot. I feed mine at night, and give them some hay in he morning--jus a handful.I also give them 1/2 a carrot every now and again for them to chew on. You could hang toys in their cages for something to do. Alternate different toys and put in different places in the cage for variety.

3. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Please! Timothy hay is the healthiest food for a rabbit. My rabbits have always had unlimited access to timothy hay and limited access to standard rabbit pellets.

I suppose it is possible that there is a theory among meat-rabbit keepers that I am not aware of. My rabbits have always been pets and show rabbits, and they have all been incredibly healthy and long-lived... no digestive problems!

Do some research on your own online, I think you will find plenty of good information... try "house-rabbit" sites. Good luck!

4. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Rabbits love toys as well... golf balls, lids from canning jars, similar things that they can throw around but can't chew or ingest. Oh yes, they need to chew as well, just make sure that the wood provided is safe (mine LOVE branches from apple trees, no pesticides, of course.)

5. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Thats what i thought they will be interduce to it slowly i put a small handful in tonight and then when i go see them to get them used to me i give them a piece they love it. I also gave them and apple limb.

6. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Rabbits are like any other animal.. If they aren't used to something, they will get an upset stomach.. I know a lot of people that say hay is the cornerstone of a rabbit's diet.. Commercial meat producers use a lot of commercial rabbit feed to get their rabbits up to the necessary butcher size as quickly as possible.. Others I have spoken to feed hay, certain weeds from the yard, things from the veg garden, trimmings off of trees with a little rabbit feed or certain grains as an extra.. But think of it this way.. Wild rabbits eat vegetation all the time.. It apparently works pretty well for them.. Rabbits are vegetarians..

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It really depends on what pellet feed you are feeding, and how much fiber it has. Some are low in fiber, and hay is needed to provide fiber in the rabbit's diet. Others have higher fiber and little or no hay is really "needed".

8. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    they were used to a 17 % protein feed but all they had at my feed mill was 15%. So far they have been getting a handful every other day with some dry leaves on the other days and i gave them a square of cardboard to play with and sleep on. They seam to be happy and no tummy troubles yet. O and ive gave them oak limbs to nibble on. As soon as my brother in law gives me my camera ill take pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by