Got my peeps! (and now I have questions) PICS!

jag

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
Maine
wee.gif

I got my peeps from McMurray this morning. All were alive, but two blue laced red wyandottes died shortly after. The rest seem healthy and happy with the exception of my two little salmon faverolles. They keep peeping louder and more consistantly than the rest and I haven't seen them eat yet - they are drinking though. One of the faverolles has the beginnings of pasty butt and the other is dirty there, but neither have actually pasted up. I did wipe off one of them. Does it take the faverolles longer to learn how to eat? I don't want to lose more!!
sad.png

McMurray put two extras in the box, one extra blue laced red wyandotte and one little black chick with a white spot on it's head. Are there any others besides black sex link roos that look like that?

Okay...off to take pictures!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm in love!
big_smile.png
Here's pictures...

headshot.jpg

Roosting.jpg

Already roosting!
Gang.jpg

brooder.jpg

Brooder
BLRW.jpg

One of my blue laced red wyandottes....they are such cuties!!

Last edited:
Cute babies! Barred Plymouth Rocks also have headspots. In a few days, when the wing feathers start coming in, you'll know because there will be bars on the feathers if it's a Barred Rock. However, I bet it's a sexlink, black star, whatever MM calls their versions of it.

My black star is almost completely black, with the small white spot on the head - and it's smaller than the barred rock chicks. The barred rock chicks are black but have grey underneath, or whitish color - and larger grey/white spots on the head. They are quite different.

molly

In comparison, the chick is bigger than the others, about the same size as my buff rocks. Black with gray underneath and a fairly large white spot on the top of it's head. Maybe it's a barred rock...that would be neat! I didn't order any of them.
This doesn't show the spot but this is the chick:
DifferentChick.jpg

love.gif
I'm just totally in love.
love.gif

So, this morning all are well and love scratching now that they figured that out. But, I do have three weak chicks. My two salmon faverolles and one red sex link. They aren't eating...is there anything I can do about that? I tried an eyedropper, but they just don't want anything.
sad.png
I don't want to lose my little 'sammies' - as we have started calling them for short.
One of the faverolles gets up and walks around chirping. She seems interested in the others eating, but seems to want them to feed her. The other just sleeps; as does the little red sex link. I don't know what to do, I'm a rookie.

If that extra chick is a black sex link - having a white spot means he's a rooster, right?

I also think from watching them, that I have one BLRW roo and two BLRW hens. I'm thinking that means I need an incubator, right?
jumpy.gif

Try dipping the baby's beak in water then immediately in the starter. It will stick on the beak and after she gets a taste, maybe she'll be encouraged to eat more.

And you don't need an incubator unless you want a secondary addiction, LOL!

Last edited:
My little red sex link died.
sad.png
I don't want to lose the two salmon faverolles.
hit.gif

Thanks Speckled Hen....I did that and she just wipes it off her beak like "Yuck! what's that on my beak?" I tried feeding them with an eyedropper and they don't eat what's in there and wipe off anything that gets on their beaks. One seems like she's fine...just won't eat, but she drinks plenty and gets up and walks around peeping like she's looking for someone to feed her. The other just sleeps. This is so sad...I wish I could help!

The rest of the girls are all healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom