Got my pullet assortment today... now I need to figure out what I have!

Well, just picked up 8 more "we thought it would be fun to show the kids how birds hatch! Oh... they need care after that?" free-to-a-good-home chicks. 8/12 isn't too bad for a home incubation! Anyway, one is a bantam naked neck with spraddle legs. Probably not much I can do for it since it's already a week old, but I'll try braces. Any other suggestions? I'll post pix of the others tonight, maybe some australorps or marans or...um... what else is black? And maybe a buff orpington, and looks like some more EEs, too. My husband may not notice that there are now 34 birds instead of 26. They're hard to count when they're moving around...

The rainbow pack from Meyer is full of polish and favorelles? I'm glad I didn't order that. I would have been expecting plenty of EEs, some welsummers/marans, leghorns and several brown production breeds.

Just two polish - a gold and a silver laced. There are at least 7 EEs, 6 Faverolles, a few white leghorns, and about 6 that I haven't ID'd yet. My impression is that everyone gets a slightly different assortment though. I kinda like the surprise! Of course, my "all pullet" scheme was probably foiled by the rescues.

The ones with the two yellowish/whitish stripes down their backs are brown leghorn chicks. I got some from meyer at the same time. I still haven't figured out what half of them are...I have a solid yellow one with one black spot on it's back...clean legs...and I have no idea. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom