Got my pullet assortment today... now I need to figure out what I have!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SankofaGypsy, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SankofaGypsy

SankofaGypsy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Metro Detroit
  2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i see one that has black spots on its face. looks like a buttercup. the white with black on its back could be ancana or Exchequer Leghorn

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the chicks with a bump on their heads are polish. The reddish black looking ones are gold laced and the whiteish black looking ones are sliver laced polish

4. SankofaGypsy

Sep 9, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks... I'm looking forward to seeing them feather out. This is my first batch of chicks - I've always gotten adult birds before.

5. SankofaGypsy

Sep 9, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Well, just picked up 8 more "we thought it would be fun to show the kids how birds hatch! Oh... they need care after that?" free-to-a-good-home chicks. 8/12 isn't too bad for a home incubation! Anyway, one is a bantam naked neck with spraddle legs. Probably not much I can do for it since it's already a week old, but I'll try braces. Any other suggestions? I'll post pix of the others tonight, maybe some australorps or marans or...um... what else is black? And maybe a buff orpington, and looks like some more EEs, too. My husband may not notice that there are now 34 birds instead of 26. They're hard to count when they're moving around...

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    The rainbow pack from Meyer is full of polish and favorelles? I'm glad I didn't order that. I would have been expecting plenty of EEs, some welsummers/marans, leghorns and several brown production breeds.

7. SankofaGypsy

Sep 9, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Just two polish - a gold and a silver laced. There are at least 7 EEs, 6 Faverolles, a few white leghorns, and about 6 that I haven't ID'd yet. My impression is that everyone gets a slightly different assortment though. I kinda like the surprise! Of course, my "all pullet" scheme was probably foiled by the rescues.

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Looks like all of your chicks arrived nice and healthy! How nice!! What great photography, also.

9. mschneid79

mschneid79 New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    The ones with the two yellowish/whitish stripes down their backs are brown leghorn chicks. I got some from meyer at the same time. I still haven't figured out what half of them are...I have a solid yellow one with one black spot on it's back...clean legs...and I have no idea. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by