Got my silkies! And a bonus Sultan! (PICS) NEW PICS!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KellyGwen, May 20, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I went up to Popson Farm the other day to get my silkie babies and came home with 4 silkies (white, black and splash) and one cochin chick (who I thought was also a silkie until I got home and noticed that she didn't have a black beak! Ooops!). I also got a young white Sultan hen that they didn't want (she was the only polish they had). She is really pretty!

I was wondering... are polish chickens a little slow? I've had to take her off of her roost every morning and put her on the floor so she'll eat her breakfast... Maybe it's because there aren't any other adult chickens in the coop with her yet? Or maybe she's still a little wary? She is very mellow and lets me pick her up and pet her [​IMG]

Anyway... here are some pics of her... I haven't taken any good ones of the new babies yet (it's been cold!) But I plan on taking some today!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Her run was muddy at the farm, that's why she's a little dirty... we're planing on giving her a bath when it warms up!!)

Edited to add Silkie baby pics from today! (2 days old)

This is what I think will be a splash...
    [​IMG]

You can see him better outside (he took off 2 seconds after I took this pic! He looked like a cotton ball blowing in the wind!)
    [​IMG]

This is my black silkie... also 2 days old today (you can really see his extra toe!)
    [​IMG]

This is the Cochin I picked up by mistake...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Whether she's slow or not, she's beautiful.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    She is PRETTY! Congrats on your new chicks!

4. OrchardLnFarms

OrchardLnFarms Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Bernville, PA
    Aw so cute! Congrats on the new additions.

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Cool.....They are cute as anything. I love the silkies anyway. And that polish is Adorable. So...maybe some day in the future if you have a roo, we could swap some eggs and .....[​IMG]

6. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Congratulations! What a pretty bird. [​IMG]

7. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Quote:Haha! Yeah... if my silkies decide to be broody! I don't have an incubator (yet!). I don't have a male sultan... but I was thinking I might try crossing her with the silkies... if one of them turns out to be a roo [​IMG] Or maybe my Silver Lakenvelder? Can you imagine a Lakenvelder with a hat? Haha!

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's because they can't see worth a darn...
    Beautiful birdie!!!

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    pretty babies, that first silkie is going to have a large crest, beatiful!![​IMG]

10. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I hope so! I'm new to "fancy" chickens... I've only worked with layers owned by other people... and they were all utilitarian! I'm also hoping that they all have "beards" too... (some of the moms in the breeding flock had them)

Does he look like a splash to you silkie pros out there?

I love them... they are so TINY!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by