Got my Silkies yesterday!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by carolinachickie, Jan 8, 2013.

1. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    I only wanted 2 but ended up getting 4. Not quite sure of their exact age. They came from a family friend's boss who got them from a school classroom that hatched them so I'm sure they're not the best quality silkies but I'm looking more to keeping them as pets. Also any extra eggs is a bonus too lol! I know silkies can be broody so I'm looking to add 2 barred rocks to the group within the next month or so to get a better egg production. Anywho, here they are...any that turn out to be males, I get to take back and exchange for females since he has like 20 of them. I'm pretty sure one of them is a male, but don't know about the rest of them yet. I will take more close up pics of them later this afternoon and post them in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum to get more opinions of what ya'll think, pullets or cockerels. The white is my favorite. They are all a bit skiddish except the one that I think is a cockerel is very sweet and friendly...go figure lol....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sry, edited a million times to figure out how to upload the pics lol.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Their so pretty. Congrats!!! [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congrats!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Love silkies! Love emmmmmm! I remember when I got my 3 silkies... XD I went to get one, came back with four! I guess that's chicken math for ya!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! Everything is brand new! [​IMG]

6. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone! I just posted pics of all of them in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum. I'm hoping for more pullets than cockerels! Keeping my fingers crossed....

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They look about 6-8 weeks old. The white looks like a cockerel to me already.

Congrats though!

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

But if you keep one boy... I love my silkie boys. They are great fun.

9. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

I am hoping to get a few silkies this spring!

10. Three Silkies

Three Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Aoxa. They look just like mine when I got them and they were 8 weeks old. And that white one looks just like my "hen", Petunia, who grew a comb and started crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by