1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got my very first egg today {ever}

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andy, May 16, 2007.

1. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    thought i would spread my joy and tell you all that i recieved my very first egg today from my R I R,, as soon as i see it ,it went straight in the frying pan..yummy yummy..it wasnt very big tho..only half the size of a large supermarket egg..will they get bigger.? hope so, im hungry

2. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    Yay! I remember when my first pullets started laying those little bitty eggs - they were so cute. I wouldn't let my husband eat them at first - he kept joking that I wanted to bronze them.

Eggs do get bigger, I have 4 eight year old Australorp hens that lay HUGE eggs. Depending on how old your hen(s) is/are, they'll start laying larger eggs as they get older and their body grows accustomed to laying. ~ Oaknim

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  3. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Congrats. I remember when i got my first egg I was so excited. They will get bigger in time.

4. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    I have 2 RIR girls who lay eggs so huge I can't close a JUMBO egg carton on them!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Isn't it exciting? My very first egg was over 15 years ago, and I still remember how thrilled I was!
    Indeed the eggs will get bigger as the hen matures. It's for the best that they are coming out small right now. Some poor pullets do lay big eggs and it's no fun! I once had a pullet's first egg come out as two eggs stuck end to end, the poor girl!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by