Got myself a raccoon overnight

crazy cat lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
NW Illinois
This makes #3 for me! Yes we diposed of it via the 55 gal. drum. I didn't even know we another one around. I was trying to get the llittle possum that I've seen on the fronth porch eating my kitties food.
So far I haven't lost any birds (chickens,trukeys, ducks or geese). But I did notice that my one young white leghorn was bleeding by her tailfeathers. I will have to check it out and make sure that raccoon hadn't tried to grab here thru a wooden gate.

We have 3 pens set up in our barn. One has a young female goat, one has 25 leghorn pullets and the last pen has 8 BB turkeys (2 BBB and 6 BBW). The pens with the turkeys and leghorns have deer netting over the top. The whole pen is made of wood as are the gates.

Got to reset the trap tonite and see what I get.

Eva

How easy is it for them to dig thru concrete?
smile.png
I guess I forgot to mention that our dairy barn has been converted partially into a poultry barn. I'll have to take a pic and post so you can see how we have our pens setting.

Please do yourself a favor and stop putting out food for your cats.
Raccoons and possums will readily eat pet food left outside. When you do that you literally change the balance that nature imposes by providing readily available food in unlimited quantities. What that does is simply improve the reproductive rate of the coons in your area and the birth rate of the coons will rise in proportion to the amount of food you supply.
So instead of having a few coons you suddenly will have as many as 20-50 coons in your area all because you are feeding them. The problem only gets worse the longer you continue feeding them.
If left to their own devices and not fed with cat or dog food, the available nutrition will keep the birth rate down and everything in balance.

One very effective device has stopped our raccoon problem and I can tell you it does work.

http://www.eggcartons.com/product-e...r_Powered_Night_Predator_Control_Light_NG_001

We have six of these in various locations to prevent coons from coming near the coop and have yet to see any evidence of the little buggers bothering either the coop or our front and back porches and the area where we have our garbage cans.

Excuse me, but my cats get fed every evening while it is still daylight out, I have seen one or the other while it is still light out. I pick up every food dish and bring inside. I happened to have had the trap baited wih mini marshmallows when I caught this coon.

Try keeping a radio on in the barn at all times. The human voice deters racoons from coming in too close. Pick a station that has more talk than music. A good christian station with a stern speaking preacher works well. Although this method does not get rid of the coons, it does let them know that humans may be present and stay away.

Radio works out well for many, but if you are in a city, coons don't usually see humans as a threat... so it might not be as effective as if you are in the country. Always worth a shot though. Marshmellows are great coon bait.

Back
Top Bottom