got myself a rooster....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EricH, Sep 7, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Got myself a badass rooster at the local poultry auction sunday. Out of the 5 a woman brought of the same variety/age, he was the biggest, most regal of them all. Legs looked like tree trunks compared to the other roosters and comb is huge and bright red.... Didn't know quite HOW big he was til i got him home. I'm pretty sure he's an australorp, but i was looking at the jersey giants and they look an awful lot like what ive got. The lady said he was "only 4 or 5 months" old and he has little baby spurs that couldnt cut butter. He may not be super big, but he seems pretty macho compared to what i got.... what do you think? He really is a stunning bird to look at in the sunlight - cant really capture that greenish/purplish sheen in a picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

beautiful!!! [​IMG]

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    He is gorgeous. [​IMG]

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    got 2 that look just like him.

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, either an Australorp or JG... He's huge and he's pretty.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

We saw one of those (well it looked like him) at the fair, and my hubby flipped out- he just raved about him.
    He said that he looked like a king.

Yours looks like a king too!!

Oh and P.S. - a lot of people I have read on this message board recommend quarantining your birds for a month or so before letting them join the flock. I know it's not possible for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    wow, a month, really? i had him quarantined for the rest of the day. he seemed really healthy so the next morning i let him with the flock. i guess diseases might not show up for a while eh? what about fresh chicks from the feed store? quarantine them too?

no tellin really if hes an australorp or a giant though? i dont really know the difference.. giants are huge? australian orpingtons are... well orpington'ish?

8. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Boy, he sure does strut his stuff doesn't he? lol. That second pic, he looks like he's prancing in more macho than anything in the world.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Wow what a beautiful bird. He looks just like my Black Australorp roo at 20 weeks. I think he is an Australorp but one sure way to tell is eye color. If he has golden colored eyes he is an Australorp and if they are very dark brown he is a Black Giant.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I don't think people quarantine fresh chicks from stores and hatcheries. Apparently some people have had respiratory infections show up in birds (bought at auctions etc.) and wipe out their flock. Also check him for mites and lice! Look under the wings, and around the neck and vent area. Look for broken skin too.

There are treatments for all of the above if you find a problem. I brought home birds from a craigslist purchase and didn't quarantine them awhile back, since I didn't know how bad it can get if someone brings in a bad germ. I was fortunate- they were healthy.

I don't know which type of chicken he is.

Congratulations on your wonderful roo!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by