Got mystery hens from farmers market

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeyLady, Oct 15, 2012.

1. HeyLady

HeyLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    I'll post pics tomorrow if I can. I know without pics it is almost impossible to guess at all, but one in particular has me stunned based on basic features. There are a few that I'll be posting photos of for guesses (probably mutts). It just might be fun to guess what's in them.

But the one I'm really clueless about is a pullet we got from a man who said that she is a dark brown leghorn. And he said she'll lay white eggs. Well, I have never seen a dark brown leghorn, so I didn't know any better. I got home, looked it up online, and she looks very different from the others I am seeing.

First of all, she is a very dark brown, very dark. In fact, my husband and I sometimes call her "the black hen" because she is the darkest hen we own. She is solid colored, no special markings or other colors, but when you look at her feathers closely, she does have a little bit of faint black penciling on her feathers. I would describe her feet as maybe a light gray. She has a single comb which is pinkish and very small, but she is young, about 1-2 months from laying. The thing that gets me is her personality. Perhaps because she is the smallest we have, she is very docile. She's at the bottom of the pecking order right now, but the other hens aren't constantly evil and violent toward her; they just don't associate with her. Maybe it's because she is so lonely, but every time I got out to feed and water, she is at my feet and seems to really enjoy my company and being petted. She was like this from the first day we picked her up. She is the sweetest pullet I've ever seen, and I have some good birds.

Anyway, I don't even know which breeds can have light gray legs and such dark feathers, so I was hoping someone could give me a little list of possibilities or something. I'm mostly concerned because we have cold winters in Eastern KY, and I just want to know how winter hardy she will be and make sure she doesn't need anything that I'm not already doing for my RIR, Buckeye, Rocks, etc. Also, I'd like to have a guess at how big she will get. She's not too much smaller than the other hens now, but I'm curious.

I'll try tomorrow to post pics. Thanks in advance!

2. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    i would say by your discription that she is a dark brown leghorn with bad leg coloring most dark brown leghorns that i have seen are as u described but with a little bit of a orangish red color in the neck of course like u said theres no good way to tell exactly what u have till u post pics

3. HeyLady

HeyLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks for your reply! She does not have any red coloring around her neck. She could be mixed with something, in fact, I think that is quite likely because he had several different breeds in the pen together. If I'm not mistaken, some he called phoenix. I don't know if there is a hybrid anywhere of a dark brown leghorn and a phoenix, but I'll post pics tomorrow and maybe someone can help me.

4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    THe color sounds partridge...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by