Got new babies :-)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mochicken, May 31, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I did a trade today, I had 6 cornish X chicks that my wife would not let me kill lol, so I traded them for 3 turkeys, they were Black Spanish with a possibility of a cross with a royal palm as she had others that were bred by her Spanish tom that was not supposed to be able to get to the hens lol.

They are only 5 days old so tiny [​IMG]

Here are a couple pics, I will take better ones when they get settled in a bit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    awesome, I love my turkeys

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Poults are adorable. They don't look like black spanish, though. [​IMG] Look like bronze turkeys. If these are from the turkeys they are supposed to be from, it would mean that the black carried a recessive bronze-based gene. Then, when crossed with a royal palm, some of the poults would have a bronze-based gene and a black-winged bronze based gene, but no black. Some of her poults would have had a black based gene, which is dominant, but apparently you didn't get any of those poults. Your poults should also be carrying recessive palm and Narragansett genes as well, so any hen poults you have will look like Narragansetts, while the toms should look like bronzes. Unless her spanish, which obviously was not pure, also carried a Narragansett gene, in which case your toms could also end up looking like Narragansetts. Whoo! [​IMG] You should be able to start to tell the differences between the bronzes and narragansetts between 3 and 5 weeks.

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    You know I thought the same thing, when looking at pics of black Spanish they are mostly black with a little light color spotting or heads but these guys are all kinds of crazy browns, tans, blacks, and whites. I guess time will tell, I cant wait till they get a little older so I can see [​IMG]

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Here is one of the little fluff balls at 3 weeks, they are getting big fast, I miss my lil fluff balls lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by