Got new birdies, and they are pecking the eyes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AutumnDreamer, Apr 21, 2011.

1. AutumnDreamer

AutumnDreamer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Went to TSC and got some more chickies, we got astraloups (sp?) this time, oh how cute they are! Little black furballs. However they are pecking the eyes of the other birds???????

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Hmm....I've never had this problem. Do they have adequate brooder space -- they don't need much for the first couple of weeks, but should be able to branch out a little bit. And, maybe, put in a red brooder light if you have the white. Good luck!

3. AutumnDreamer

Apr 17, 2011
    There are 12 chicks all together, and they are in a large dog kennel, they is plenty of room, the first six are a bit older but not more then a week.

4. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    So the younger ones are picking on the older ones? Hehe -- what stinkers! I have had a week in age difference with no problems at all. I raise my meaties and layers together and haven't ever had this problem. Did you just get them today? Keep an eye on them, hopefully they will stop. They are not drawing blood or actually injuring the eyes of the other chicks, right?

5. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I know you should put marbles in turkey waterer/feeders when raising turkeys. I guess turkeys need a little motivation/help to eat/drink so they peck at the marbles. Maybe you need some marbles to distract the critters! [​IMG]

6. AutumnDreamer

Apr 17, 2011
    yes it is the little tinies that are pecking at the bigger ones, and they aren't doing it hard, but they are going right for the eyes lol

7. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I hope they get over their fascination quickly! Usually it's the bigger ones picking on the little ones. At just a week apart, you shouldn't have a problem. Hoping someone else has a little more insight for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by