1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got new chicks. Does one have Pasty vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HalfMadMommy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. HalfMadMommy

HalfMadMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Fort Lupton, CO
    I got 3 chicks yesterday from someone on craigslist. 2 Jersey Giants, and a Maren.

I'm pretty new to chicken raising, and haven't encountered a pasty butt before. The new Maren's (approx 2 weeks) vent is protruding from her hind end, by about 1/4". It looks pink, but not really inflamed. It sort of looks like a human baby's outty-bellybutton.

It had crusted over poop on it, so I soaked it off, and cleaned it up. But it's still sticking out, and keeps getting kinda crusty. I've put Vaseline on it, and soaked in some water/vinegar mix.

Any other ideas? Is this a pasty vent? Should it clear up?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~Beth

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, that is pasty butt. It also sounds like a small rectal prolapse, which can happen if they have a recurring problem with past butt. Hopefully it will go back in on its own in time. I saw it clear up on one of my chicks a few years ago. Put a little Preparation H instead of Vaseline on it, if you have some. Be sure they aren't too warm as this dehydrates them.

3. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Sounds like pasty butt to me. I would just make sure she is eating/drinking and keep soaking or cleaning with warm water. I would also make sure the brooder lamp is not too close and that she has room to move away from it if need be.

4. HalfMadMommy

HalfMadMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Fort Lupton, CO
    Thank you so much for the info. I did put some prep. H on it earlier today. How often should I be putting it on? How often should I be soaking her?

Thanks again,
    B

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by