1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got new chicks today from the feed store

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Mar 10, 2012.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I live in Seattle and the closest chicks are usually at the Issaquah Grange, 30 minutes away. I really like the people and it seems like a well run operation. I messed up though in not carefully examining each chick that they selected for me before leaving the store. I rushed the little ones into the hot car so that they would be cold for as little time as possible, and got home to realize that two of the three silkies had pasty butt and the sicillian buttercup had droopy wings. Out of six chicks, that's not a good situation.

One of the silkies was in such a bad way that it ended up under its two siblings in the small box and was near death by the time we got home. I cleaned its bottom and gave it a chance to get a drink of electrolyte enhanced water and some chick starter but within 20 minutes it was clear to me this little one was dying. I've seen enough healthy chicks and sick ones to know that it wouldn't take long before the others began pecking at it while it lay there, trampling it until it died several days later.

I didn't want it to have a long drawn out death so I decided to cull it. I have heard of many ways, but I decided to just hold it gently in warm water until it drowned. It took about 30 seconds, and some very feeble struggles, and it was over. I feel like I did the right thing, but its always a hard lesson that death sometimes comes along with the beautiful, abundant life of new baby chicks.

On the subject of the buttercup, has anyone noticed that these chicks are more fragile when they're young? This is the second time I've gotten one and had trouble with it being wobbly and/or droopy.

Thanks for listening.

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Awwwww honey. Such a terrible thing to have to do, but such a kind thing to help it cross the bridge a little easier. Poor little thing. I have no advise, but wanted to extend a hug. ((((hugs)))) [​IMG]

3. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    If you pull on the neck away from the body they die instantly.

4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the hug! Definitely needed it! And thanks for the tip on a faster death too. I'm not sure I could manage that technique. I had a hard enough time just holding the poor thing in the water, but to actually pull. Wow. I'm fairly squeamish and I think that one would do me in. It's good to know though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by