Got new coop set up! Pictures Added!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    YAY! I got my new coop set up! It fits PERFECT where I had wanted it to, along with the run. The new girls are outside for good now yaaaay! They are happy to have all the room. No more cramped apartment lol!

Munk and Joon are watching from a distance as their younger sisters get their bearings.

Here is the coop [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inhabitants
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My helper
    [​IMG]

Joon chasing away my help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big Coop and Little Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    It's always more work than we expect! Can't wait to see it!

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Very NICE!!! It's great to see the use of hardware cloth as well.

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I like the set up, also nice looking security guard.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks all! It was actually from a great lady, it is an ebay coop kit. It was put together and very easy to move, will work perfect for an urban backyard such as my own. I have chicken wire netting between the two trees as you can see, that's enough a deterrent for my older girls not to make a try for the fencing. I am so excited. This is my first chicken coop EVER. The one I use for Munk and Joon is a dog crate transformed to coop, works great for 2 girls but of course I needed more!

So I have a current flock of six, soon to be four. Two Wyandottes will be going to a WONDERFUL new home with some very handsom roosters [​IMG] this week sometime. My permanant flock will consist of:

Butternut - 9 week old Splash Wyandotte
    Chandler - 9 week old Blue Wyandotte
    Munk - 13 week old Easter Egger
    Joon - 13 week old Barred Plymouth Rock

Hopefully all are pullets, I am sure with Munk and Joon, but we shall see on the Wyandottes. They love their new home, and will have a good first night outside. I am keeping the Wyandottes in seperate coop/pen for a week or so, then Munk and Joon can adjust easily I hope. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. willowtreeaviary

willowtreeaviary Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Great-looking coop - congrats. I've heard that urban chicken-keeping is on the upswing. Do you have any trouble with neighbors about noise or smell?

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    No I aimed for breeds that tend to be quieter and do better in confinement. Nobody as of yet is too loud, more gentle clucking then anything. All my neighbors are DEAF, no offense they are wonderful people but very hard of hearing. The guy to my left has two horribly yappy dogs, and they go at the fence and my dog constantly. We also rent our home, and our landlords knew the plan from day one, and they are excited for eggs and giving me all kinds of tips regarding gardens and chicken poop. It's great.

I am an illegal urban outfitter too, chickens are not allowed in city limits yet, but we are working on it! So far all is good. I planted Jasmin on two sides of my run, so it just smells like Jasmin way more then any hint of chickens. No bad smell yet. [​IMG] I love chickens and am so glad to be able to own them again. I spent a wonderful day at the place I got my coop from, and we just sat around talking about chickens. It was great. I am glad to have people who share and UNDERSTAND the obsession!

As my new truck decal says "Chickens are like potato chips. You can never have just one!" Amen to that hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by