Got new Peafowl yesterday !!! Need Quarentine advise on Deworming

FrenchToast

"Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven
12 Years
Jan 10, 2010
UP North WI
I want to deworm them as well as give them some fish zole (metronidazole) in case they may have the start of blackhead. I can't find the post where someone was dosing for this on a regular basis as a preventative ( monthly, bimonthly etc)

Anyway, I've got the valbazen and fish zole on order. Should be here today.

So I plan on deworming first. Since these birds are not showing any sypmptoms etc I was going to put it in their water. All of the birds are 2.5-3 yrs old.

What is the dosage Valbazen in the water ?

How long after would it be safe to give them the fish zole? What is tha dosage? Can that also be given to chickens?
I plan on using the valbazen on all of my chickens as well. Is the dosage the same or lower for chickens?

Ps I live in NE WI

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Quote:
First off- fill them with some dietary fibre- pumpkin guts are highly recommended and as they are natural wormers you will likely help knock out some additional internal parasite load while also providing behavioral enrichment and nutrition. If pumpkins are out of season or unavailable either cook up somes weet potatoes or feed a can pumpkin pie filling mixed into wild bird seed. Stop feeding any soy based nutrition during worming and for the next few weeks following worming. The dietary fibre in the digestive system is needed before worming. Worming is toxic and it can have a negative effect on the birds' immune system. The dietary fibre fills the digestive system creating a pathway for consistent dosage of the medication from bill to vent.

With peafowl, follow directions for worming -follow the suggestions that waterfowl managers use to deal with internal parasites in waterfowl- versus turkeys or chickens-

Also, wait until the full moon to worm as this when the eggs of parasites are synchronized to hatch.

After worming treat the birds to a few days of cooked whole oatmeal or bulgar with plenty of plain yogurt and a jar of turmeric or curry if you can't find turmeric in the supermarket- mixed in.
Also- peafowl should have some walnuts fed to them every few weeks as they are loaded with immune boosting nutrients.

Last edited:
Quote:
Personally, I think the wormer and the pumpkin guts ( or pumpkin pie filling mixed into cooked oatmeal or cooked rice or what have you) compliment one another. Internal parasites shouldn't be underestimated, especially if you've had your birds on the same ground for a few years or are purchasing from swap meets or breeders whose facilities you've not seen personally. The dietary fibre and starches swell linings throughout the digestive tract. This exposes more surface area of membrane infested with parasites and their eggs. The dosage can be more even handed as well. You should get on it before this moon wanes much further or you'll just be treating the adults and not the eggs.

I'm not sure about the fishzole but I take it that this is how the author decoded a difficult pronunciation.

Do a search on this site for treating with Fish Zole (Metronidazole or Flagel). It is used for treating Blackhead.

I bought some on ebay some time back to keep on hand in case any birds come down with it, but you can get it on amazon, or a fish site, or DrsFosterSmith.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Zole-M...902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6769389e

a good place to keep bookmarked is
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Peafowl Medications.htm

They have some good articles on care.

I am using Safeguard for goats - it affects most types of worms. 3 cc/gal water for 3 days. repeat again in 10 days...

I still have some pumpkins from the garden and will feed them until they are gone.

Back to Fish Zole, it a treatment, not a preventative.

For more reading on Blackhead, I gathered a doc:

Blackhead Disease, Does Not Really Cause Black Heads
By W.R. Davidson
& G.L. Doster
NWTF WILDLIFE BULLETIN NO.25

Site I got it from - National Wild Turkey Federation ?, I think, Im sure you could do a search for it, or you can pm me & I can send it to you.

Last edited:
But why would you think they automatically have Blackhead? ARe they particularly prone to it and under what circumstances?

Last edited:
Quote:
If they have been exposed to chickens that have the cecal worm or have eaten an earthworm that was carring the cecal worm they could have the blackhead protozoa. Not sure I explained that correctly but chickens can have the blackhead protozoa and not show any symptoms. If the peafowl were housed with them or got infected from eating an host earthworm they could have the protozoa as well.
I would like to treat them as if they have it, then deworm them to get rid of any cecal worms they may have that would be carring this protozoa.
Hope that makes sense. By the time the turkey or peafowl show the symptoms of blackhead (mustard colored feces etc) it is in it's later stage and needs to be treated imediately.

I would just like to start with a clean slate. I will be deworming all of my chickens at the same time and will continue to do so on a regular basis. I don't know if the earthworms or cecal worms in my area are carriers of the blackhead protozoa but just in case I would like to nip it in the bud.

I have read on a different thread that you can put fish Zole (metronidazole) 3 tablets per gallon of water for 3 days. Mixing a fresh dose each day.

Anyone else have any suggestions. I will be cooking up some pumpkin for them before and during their deworming.
Now I just need to see what mg tablet to use. I bought the double strength tablet I believe.

I'm planning on worming my peachicks, chickens, and guineas soon with safeguard. I think I'm going to worm them for three days, then ten days later, three more days, like recommended. How long will the chicken eggs be unsafe to eat?

We don't have any fresh pumpkin, but would cooked homegrown squash work? I could also mix in some store bought pumkin, too.

Back
Top Bottom