got new peahens with pics white and silver pied

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by little blue, Sep 12, 2010.

1. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we just got some new peahens
    here is the white one we think she is a hen but not positive she is 1 year old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    do you know if she is a boy or a girl when she is standing she was the shortest our of all of the other 1 year old whites
    here is the silver pied she is 2 years old (the one on the left is the boy silver pied) (middle is the white) (right is the silver pied hen)
    [​IMG]

2. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    amy's place was great an she has a ton off pretty peacocks well worth the 525 mile round trip.steve you where right the pics do not do purple's any justice we will be get a puple pair next summer/fall an maybe an opal hen i hated the opal in pics but really liked the color in person.amy was sooooooooo nice debbie even named the sp hen after her sence it looks like it is wereing glasses,the white one she named charolette the are both very sweet an friendly here are a few more pics.any thoughts on if the white is hen she was pretty sure as was i
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Yep. That's a problem with taking pics of peafowl, especially mutant colors.. the picture almost never shows how they really look. I used to be completely unimpressed with bronzes and did not even try to get them for years.. until someone was disposing of their flock and had some for really cheap.. thought why not? at least get to see it in person(nobody has anything besides blues or whites here)... when they arrived... WOW..... now one of my favorite colors. Opal is a very difficult color to take pictures of and really show how they look. I prefer black shoulder opals, because the males are a solid even color, way cool.

White seems female by size. Year old males have a huge and blunt spur, look at your male for comparison. The silver pied has a spur which happens sometimes, most hen spurs are small and skinny.

Congrats on new birds and getting to see new colors. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    ya she said bronze is the next color she is going to be getting in to.i really love the bronze color in a pics so i am sure it is real pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by