Got one laying....still waiting on the others

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Alma, the EE has been laying for a 1 1/2 weeks. I've gotten 7 cream colored eggs from her so far. My LB, Trixie has been super red and has been checking out the nesting boxes. She keeps kicking the golf balls out of them and she gets really excited when Alma is laying. The other day she tried squeezing herself in the nesting box with Alma. [​IMG] The rooster hasn't shown any interest in Trixie at all. He's been mating only with Alma, but he's also been tap dancing for my BA and trying to bite her neck. She's not giving him the time of day. She's also getting pretty red. My other hens......well, nothing. [​IMG] The hens are all about 20 weeks old.

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, true Ameraucanas that are 26 weeks old and 2 EE that are 22 weeks old--I am getting two eggs a day! One of the BR has been laying for a two weeks and a RIR started laying on the 2nd of Sept...

I, too, am waiting on the others!!!

3. mrbstephens

This tap dancing my roo is doing is out of control. He danced a circle around on of my girls and bit her head.

4. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    I'm still waiting . . . . 2 RIR, 2 BS, 2 SLW all were 20 weeks old on 9/2. All are very red, and have been hanging out in the nest boxes. No squatting (or what I think would be squatting).

This is what I'm feeling [​IMG] [​IMG] and this is what I'm patiently waiting for [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I'm having the same issue with the exception of a rooster. I have 2 Golden Comets and 2 Ameracaunas. One Golden Comet has been laying for almost 2 weeks. 9 eggs already with one day that she didn't lay. All of my hens were bought and raised together. The other 3 aren't doing anything [​IMG] They aren't even interested in the nesting box yet. They are 20 weeks old so I guess it's just a waiting game now.

6. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    From what I gather from some of the posts on here that a hen gets interested in a nestnig box, squats for someone, that this means they are getting ready to lay??? How about when a rooster mates with her? or is this a more mature rooster than the rest of the hens?

7. mrbstephens

Quote:Yes, my first an EE, started checking out the nesting boxes and scratching around a lot in the hen house......making a huge mess, then she started to get really red in the face and became really vocal, then the rooster started taking notice of her, then she squatted for me, then the rooster started mating with her, then she laid an egg. All in this order.

Now, my LB is checking out the nesting boxes and is looking really red, but the rooster is not interested in her. My rooster is interested in my BA who is also reddening and becoming vocal, but not interested in the nesting boxes. My husband wants to place bets as to who will be layer #2.

My rooster is the same age as my hens. I bought them all at the same time.

8. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I'm waiting too - my chickens are all 18 weeks, and my RSL has been laying an egg everyday for the last 10 days. The rooster mates with her and the BA, but she has yet to lay an egg. I have 3 BR, one has gotten really red in the face, but the rooster leaves her alone so far. The same for the RIR.
    I keep asking them when will they lay some eggs, but all they say is bawk! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by