Got our 1st egg! When should other chickens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momoffourcubs, Sep 9, 2014.

1. momoffourcubs

momoffourcubs New Egg

May 6, 2013
    We just found our first egg the other day, and we think the same chicken has laid the other two that we have since found. My question is now that one is laying should the others start laying soon? We have two barred rock and two Rhode Island Reds. They all are the same age, 17 weeks. This is our first experience with chickens, so we probably have a lot of silly questions. :idunno

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the first egg! The others may or may not start as soon as the one that started has.
    It really depends on the chicken, but I think that your likely to get more pullets laying soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    17 is pretty early. I wouldn't hold my breath or worry about the others not laying for a few more weeks.

I had 4 of the same breed, and from my first egg to the last hen laying was more than 3 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Each bird will begin to lay as her own hormone's set her body in motion for production, which each will do in her own time regardless of who else in the flock is/isn't laying. As they are only 17 weeks of age you can probably expect them all to begin laying sometime in the next 5-11 weeks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by