Got our chicks! - Concerned about one....

DoverChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Dover, PA
Yay! We got our chicks today!

4 Speckled Sussex - split them with our neighbor, they only wanted 2... (straight run, so we'll see what we get...)

Probably going in again this week to get more - depending on what breeds they get.

One looked like they had pasty butt, so I tried soaking its butt in warm water and slowly using a q-tip to rub the water around, and now it looks like the intestines are coming out!!! What is going on??? and what do we do? Is this grounds for a cull?

Thanks, I'll post pics of them once my camera battery charges up!!

poultryrox11

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Petersburgh, New York
OMG, pics are needed! We JUST, like 5 minutes ago, had to cull a 1 year old BR because it was prolapsing.
hit.gif
at first, it looked likeunabsorbed yolk, it turned out to be intestines. I STRONGLY suggest you post pics as soon as possible!

DoverChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Dover, PA
okay so here are some pics of my little babies:

my 3 speckled sussex - we're still hoping that the one we were worried about, makes it through the night. My neighbors (who also took 2 home) are watching it tonight....

FMAFarms

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Rural Michigan
I think poultryrox meant post photos of the little chick that looks like it's prolapsing, so we can help guess whether it's actually prolapsing or something else... they're very cute, though!

turtlebird

Songster
Dec 11, 2009
I had the same thing you are talking about happen to a little chickie of mine. Turned out to be just fine, I think it was in part to the fuzz-y butt not being so fuzzy any more. Make sure it doesn't paste up, keep it warm and be gentle. Hope it turns out alright for you also
smile.png

DoverChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Dover, PA
Quote:
ohhhhhh, okay, I was wondering exactly what they meant! Well, he is over at our neighbor's house right now, so we'll see if he makes it through the night and then I can go over and take pictures of him tomorrow. They have had plenty more experience with chickens then I have, so they are watching over him.

Thanks for the clarification!
smile.png

poultryrox11

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Petersburgh, New York
JustAChickenLittle&More :

Poultry, tell me how to cull a chick. I've never done it, I hate to even think about doing it, but I have two that I am sure are going to need it.
sad.png

Well, there are differant ways to do it. You could gas them, sharp scissors could be involved, however, I do not like that way. You could also use the hatchet, quick and painless if you hit the head right,although i do hope you won't need to cull at all. What is wrong with your chicks?​

Last edited:

DoverChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Dover, PA
The one we were worried about did die last night....
hit.gif

The other 3 are doing great! Our neighbors 2 are doing really well too.

Probably stopping in at TSC to pick up more this week....

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom