1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got our chicks today. WOOT! (pics included) added pics of our 4 new ones in post

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dragonmorgan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I heard on another thread that the feed store close by had baby chicks so we had to go see. I spent last night researchin how to sex chicks to try and make sure that we got mostly hens. We went back there today and picked up 6 little bitties. We got 2 golden comets (pretty sure those are girls since they are sex links lol), 2 barred rocks (thanks to info I found on here Im pretty sure I picked out hens), and 2 buff brahmas. I couldnt find anything on how to sex them so I just went with the idea that since most female chicks are darker than males it might be the same with brahmas. I got a pretty dark one and then just for the fun of waiting and guessing I got one that was neither really light or really dark. Cant wait to see if I was right in my sexing attempts. Id love to hear everyone elses guesses. Did I pick out BR pullets? And what do u think the brahmas are?

Barred Rock #1
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock #2
    [​IMG]

Both BRs
    [​IMG]

Golden Comets
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahma #1 (my female guess)
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahma #2 (mystery chick)
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahmas together
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    According to the rule that says Barred Rock females will have a black wash on their legs - you did good!! Can't say on the Buff Brahmas, they are both WAY darker than the one and only that I hatched. My one and only is looking like a boy, though, so you may be right on those too [​IMG]

3. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Unfortunately I couldn't say one way or the other on if they are boys or girls...I'm way too much of a newbie for that. But you chicks are sooo cute!! Congratulations!

4. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Awsome thanks. Hopefully we can go back next week to get a few more and Imma try and get a brahma roo [​IMG]. One of the brahmas is pretty needy tho. It just stood in the brooder cheepin really loud so I got it out and its sleepin in my hair right now lol. It made me do it. Twisted my arm and all that[​IMG]

5. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Haha, I know how those chicks can be awfully persuasive!! I'm already trying to figure out how I can get a few more! They really are just so addicting!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats on your chicks! Looks like you did good on the BRs. No clue about the Brahmas. . . Can't wait to see if she is a girl. Now, I'm tempted to go up to Rusty's on Monday & bring home a few Brahmas [​IMG] They're all so adorable [​IMG]

7. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Thanks. We are prolly go back and get 3 more BRs and 3 more brahmas. The dogs arent too sure about them. I set one on the floor for them to smell and my cane corso tried to gently pick it up and sneak off lol. We found a brown plastic cage thing DH said used to b used to transport chicks and we took off the plastic hinged door on top and replaced it with a grate so we can set the heat lamp on top. It seems to be workin so far but imma have to tape cardboard around the outside to keep the cat out. Lol.

Rustys had quite a few different kinds. I no they had these, RIR, red sex links, some others that had a wierd name and something with an A name. They were little yellow chicks with 2 light brown stripes (kinda like chipmunk stripes).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I bet they're Araucanas or Ameraucanas, which since they're from a hatchery would really make them be Easter Eggers, instead. Rusty's usually has EEs every year at this time. In fact, we have two EE hens we got from there a couple of years ago that were our first chicks. They're the sweetest things and lay gorgeous eggs [​IMG]

Sounds like your improvised brooder is working out great. . . well, except for the cats lol [​IMG]

9. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I didnt know they were EEs. How cool. We might get some of them too then. Any idea how to sex those lol? I love the idea of havin a diverse flock. Makes it easier to tell them apart lol

10. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    We went back today and picked out 7 more. They obviously hadnt gotten any new chicks in because there werent alot to pick from. they were out of BR and only had about 4 buff brahmas. So instead I got 2 more buff brahamas, 3 EEs (labeled as Ameraucanas) and 2 Buff Opringtons. Unfortunately I cant tell the BOs and the EEs apart because they are the same color. Any guesses as to which is which would be much appreciated. Im pretty sure I got a roo BO beacuse one kept peckin me everytime I reached in the bin to get one and DH made me get the pecky one because he thought it was funny.

Buff Brahma #1
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahma #2
    [​IMG]

EE or BO #1
    [​IMG]

EE or BO #2
    [​IMG]

EE or BO #3
    [​IMG]

EE or BO #4 This ones wings are more white
    [​IMG]