Got our first chicks today...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksinFL, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    We got 4 Silkies, 2 that are about 3-4 weeks and 2 that are about 10 weeks old. My girls are just getting into chickens for 4H and we had decided on totally different breeds and ordered from a hatchery but after doing some research I cancelled the order. Then I started looking for local breeders of breeds we liked and today we brought home the first of 4 breeds we plan to raise and show.

The chicks are all happy in my spare bedroom in my approx 15 sq brooder, everyone was together where we got them so I'm keeping the older ones in for another couple weeks until we move all 4 out to the step up pen. For the step up pen we are converting a playhouse into a coop with small attached run.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Good luck to your kids [​IMG] I have some friends kids who want to show chickens and I told them they could use my chickens [​IMG] We will see how that works out haha.

3. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks! I'm hoping it all turns out well and the girls learn alot. My little one is a skiddish kid lots of stuff scares her but she's already been picking up her chicks and named one already.

We were offered to use some one elses birds on "lease" but I decided I wanted the girls to get the full hands on experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by