Got our first egg a week ago, but nothing since?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mothersin2ition, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Is this normal? I found our very first egg last week, in the nestbox with a dummy egg. I thought it would probably be a couple or three days until the next one, but it's been a whole week and nothing. Not sure it matters, but I'm thinking it was our little Bantie who laid the egg because it was very small. Does anyone know when to expect her to lay again?
    Also, the egg was a double-yolker.....not sure that means anything.

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally normal! [​IMG]

Don't worry about it they can't control when they lay, it's all hormones. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.,chickens will surprise you everytime. [​IMG]

3. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Just a bump~
    Thanks for the reply Ella [​IMG]

Anyone else have any advice? Still no egg(s) today. I thought I should mention that the girls (and roo) are 20 weeks now.

Also, I know this is probably taboo, but dh said when they had a huge flock growing up (like 150+), his dad put a couple of Bayers in the water and it started the pullets laying within a day or so. His dad had a farmer/friend tell him to use that trick. Anyone heard of this? I am NOT even considering doing this for my flock, I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of this practice? If so, how does that work to get them laying so quickly? That can't be good for them, can it!!?? [​IMG]

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Maybe the heat has something to do with it? I know mine slow down laying the hotter it gets outside.

5. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I bet the heat has something to do with it. It's in the mid 90s right now YUCK!
    However.........I got another egg today!! So two in just over a week [​IMG]
    I hope she (and the others) start laying a little more regularly [​IMG]

Still waiting to hear if anyone knows anything about the Bayer thing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by