Got Our First Egg..do We Wash It?PIC

chickie<3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Long Island, NY
So of course I've been checking and checking for eggs..no eggs...I leave for vacation and my DH goes home with the kids 2 days b4 me and guess what..the next morning ANNIE lays an egg..with out me...Still so eggcited..i think i read somewhere on here that you shouldn't rinse it under water..is that tru..what should i do if it is dirty...wipe with aa dry towel?

Last edited:
You do not want to wash them unless they are dirty. If they are dirty you can wash them but you have to eat them fairly quickly (meaning within a week or so) since the bloom is no longer protecting the egg. I usually just put mine right into the fridge to keep them fresh. Congrats on the first egg!! Soooo exciting!
big_smile.png

Congrats on you first egg!! There is nothing as magical as finding that first one! If there is a little spot on it, I would just wipe it off with a damp paper towel. If you wash the egg you remove the natural "bloom" which keeps egg fresh. If you are going to eat it right away, you can rinse it under water. Might I suggest that you put some hay in the bottom of that box? If you get more than one hen laying in there, an egg is bound to break...Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom