Got our FIRST egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Little_Rooster66, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Little_Rooster66

Little_Rooster66 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    The girls are 20 weeks old and I was not expecting eggs for a couple of weeks yet but I went to check their water at lunch time today as it is hot, and to my surprise looky what I found: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We don't know which one left this but she didn't leave it in the nesting box she left it in the run. Will they start laying in the boxes or will we need to put the eggs in there for them to start using them?

Oh and btw went out 30 mins later and found 2 more in the run.

We just this weekend changed them to layer feed and put straw in the nesting boxes could this be the reason they are not laying in the boxes cuz they are not used to straw being in the nesting boxes? [​IMG]

It's kinda small (that is a quarter sitting next to it) we are assuming they will get bigger the more eggs they lay, correct?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They will get bigger & congrats on the eggs. I wouldn't put the real eggs in the boxes but I would put some fake eggs in them so they will know where to lay their eggs.

3. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Congratulations! My girls are 17 weeks old, their combs and wattles on half have already turned a deep red, so I know it's coming. I can't hardly wait.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by