Got our first egg today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisyjaye, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Daisyjaye

Daisyjaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Hi I am new, but I was wondering if we needed to do anything special? Can we eat it? It was pretty small, do they get bigger?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello. welcome to byc! [​IMG]
    what kind of chicken produced this lovely egg? its very exciting. i saved our first egg for a year. cracked open just a bit to release the yolk etc. there are cool thing you can do. like use a small needle and puncture the egg. keeping it complete in shape. forget what thats called. if its a small egg. it could be what is called a "fart egg". good luck and welcome!!

oh oh and if you eat it.... better yet!! [​IMG]

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG]

They will get bigger and more regular with time. You can get some pretty strange things when the girls 1st start including really tiny eggs, soft shelled eggs and blood streaks on the eggs to name a few. They are just fine for eating.

4. Daisyjaye

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    I am not sure, we have 11 hens all different, but I am thinking it is one of the Rhode Island Reds, their combs and waddles are the redest. I have 2 of them, 2 NH Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Speckled Suss*x, and 2 Blue Andalusians (who I know for sure didnt do it since it wasnt white lol)

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    First one is eggcellent to eat! DH and I shared our first one and we each got one bite! Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Are all of them doing the mating squat when you pet them down the back? That's how we knew one of ours was getting ready to start. At the time, none of the others were doing it, and sure enough she was the first to lay. Now two more are doing it, so they should be next, and the other three stil aren't.

7. Daisyjaye

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Not really sure, they tend to run when we open the coop door, and they have been stuck in their run with all the snow we have had. We are hoping to get them out this weekend before we get hit with another storm.

8. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    Congrats! We were so excited to eat our first egg but then it was cracked. And then we had to wait until there were enough for the whole family because everyone wanted one. Nothing like it though- it's so exciting finding that first one!

9. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    You can eat it, it'll be the best egg you've ever eaten, they're never too small, and you'll never go back to store bought eggs!!! Oh, welcome to backyard chickens!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. KazAnder Farms

KazAnder Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Machias, WA
    I remember a few of my first eggs i had a few double yolks, one reeeeeeally tiny egg with no yolk, and one realllllly big egg with no yolk, it was all so full of surprises. How fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by