Got our first egg today!

mysticrose

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
We are so excited! It was kinda small though, but was double yoked which the kids thought was really cool. Of course when I was putting it in the fridge it slipped and cracked so we of course had to try it. Yummy! We have barred rocks and golden sex links will the eggs get bigger as they start producing more? Now I'm excited to go look for eggs each day.

Congrats! The eggs will get bigger over the next few weeks as the hens' bodies get used to producing them and works out all the kinks in their reproductive systems. Enjoy them!

wee.gif

OMG, I got my first egg today too!!!! I was so excited, I ran to my neighbor's (parents) and showed them. We took pictures. My question is...Now what? I put it in the fridge. How long with it last? Do I need to start feeding the hens different food? I know I've read somewhere to put oyster shell down for calcium and digestive system?

I'm pretty excited.

Susie C.
Mason, MI

Congrats to you too! You can store the egg for a few weeks, either on the counter or in the fridge. An egg ages quicker outside the fridge though. And the sooner you eat it, the better it will be
wink.png

You can switch your hens to layer feed now, or offer them crushed oystershell/egg shells in a separate container, so they can help themselves if/when they feel they need a calcium boost.

I understand how you feel! I got my first egg this morning, Ethal my Easter Egger ,WHO IS ONLY 18 WEEKS OLD
celebrate.gif
It is a bluegray color, and small,but it is beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom