1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got our first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildbillg, Mar 25, 2016.

1. wildbillg

wildbillg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]We have 2 Rhode Island white and 2 jersey giants about the same age approx 20 weeks
    And 2 Rhode Island reds and 2 gold sexlinks about 8 weeks old
    The last few days have been watching the whites get really red in the face so I opened a couple nest boxes 2 days ago and lined with hay. They kept kicking it out so I put up a border in front of the boxes and well this am there was our first egg. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Congratulations, nice egg and nice cigars.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Getting that first egg from a pullet never wears thin - its always a happy day [​IMG] Congratulations!!

CT

4. wildbillg

wildbillg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    So now can I expect an egg a day?
    There are 3 more that might start to lay but I think one more might be ready the jersey giants I think will take longer

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Its likely to take a few weeks before their plumbing system works itself out, so no, you may not get an egg every day to begin with. Thereafter, its highly possible that you will get 6-7 eggs a week from some of your girls, I'd say.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The sex links should lay the best, almost every day, the others will lay 3-5 eggs a week, with occasional breaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by