Got our first hatchling!

Rotorranch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
A few weeks ago, our Buff Orp pullet "Blondie" went broody. She wouldn't get out of the laying box unless I physically removed her. Since we had to get rid of "Elvis" our Rhode Island Red rooster, as he was way too aggressive, we didn't have any fertile eggs. On July 25, I got 8 assorted eggs from our friends farm, where "Elvis's" brother lives, (along with 3 of our older hens and my friends hens) and put them in the box. "Blondie" has been sitting on them almost constantly. Last night, around dinnertime, I noticed one of the eggs had a small pip in it, and was "peeping".
big_smile.png

This morning, the shell was kicked out of the box, and the cutest little ugly black chick was under Blondie.
celebrate.gif

I was worried that she might hurt it, so I removed it and put it in the nursery where we raised out other chicks last fall. So far it's doing great!

Out of the 8 eggs set, 1 got broken a couple weeks ago, one vanished last week, and one hatched this morning. We still have 5 to go, and as I calculate it, the due date is actually tomorrow.

We'll see what happens!

Rotor

Today should be the day!

Checked this morning when Blondie got out of the box to eat, and egg # 2 has pipped, so Blackie should have a little brother or sister soon!

jumpy.gif

I'm not really sure why Blackie hatched 24 hours early, but he's doing fine.

I can't believe how aware he is... he chases the laser pointer on my infra-red temp gun around the box pecking at it, is drinking and eating the chick crumbles I put in for him. But I'd never had chicks this young before.

Can't wait to see what we get this time!
wee.gif

Rotor

Aw, congrats on your first grandchick! I'd give it back to her and let her take care of it. Best brooder ever, no electricity required
wink.png
Thanks! I'm excited!

I really had planned on leaving the chicks in with momma, but she's in a community coop, and I was worried that the other hen would injure or kill the chicks.

Before I do this again, I'll build a maternity ward!
smile.png

Rotor

Well a second chick finally hatched the night before last... a cute little yellow one. But before I could remove it and put it in the brooder, the hen killed it.

Yesterday one of the unhatched eggs got broken... it was a dud. Still 3 unhatched, but I'm guessing they are duds too.
th.gif

So the tally is 8 eggs to start, 2 broke, 1 vanished, 2 hatched, 1 chick lived, 3 dud eggs. Not a very successful attempt at a hatch.
hit.gif

Good news though, the buff is still broody, and we bought a broody from the egg lady down the road, and got a dozen new eggs from her. So we'll try again.
hu.gif

Rotor

Really discouraged now...

went to check the chickens, and there was yet another chick hatched, but was cold, wet and dead under the broody Buff Orp. No sign of injury, just dead.
he.gif

I'm going to leave the last 2 eggs for another day to see what happens, the I'll set some of the new eggs under Blondie.

And the broodie I bought yesterday went off brood, I guess. She laid an egg this morning, and is sitting on the roost and wont sit in the box, so I guess there is no sense setting the eggs for her to set on.
hu.gif

So I guess I'll end up setting a dozen under Blondie, if y'all think she can handle a dozen.

Rotor

Last edited:
How long has blondie been setting on eggs? Some broodies have a timer and will set for only so long. Then you have the occasional hen who will brood for quite some time.

Last edited:
Blondie has been broody for well over a month.. but I guess it's kind of a moot point now. Today when I went to the coop, she's off the nest. When I opened the coop, she went out to forage, and has not gone back to the nest since, so I guess she's gone off brood. I was worried about that happening. I guess her biological clock went off. LOL

It's ok, I'm going to borrow our friends incubator. They have had luck with it, so I'm going to try it with the dozen eggs I have ready. So a new chapter (and a new thread) will follow.

Final tally: Out of 8 eggs set, 2 broke, 1 vanished,
3 hatched, 1 chick died before drying, 1 chick killed, 1 chick lived, 2 eggs left unhatched.

Not a very successful result for our first attempt.

Rotor

Back
Top Bottom