Got our rabbit colony hutch finished!

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
We had a bad storm a couple of weeks ago and the hutch (a converted chicken coop tractor) was literally blown upside down (with the rabbits inside it, they were all fine). We brought them inside in a small tub over night (it was funny the male was like oooo, colder temperatures, and began breeding all the girls lol). The next day we got a small cage (the male's when we need a break) and they had to stay in it until I got this one finished. There were 3 does and the male and it was like 2ft by 8 ft. They were fine, they all get a long great, but I am very happy to say they got in their new home last night.

It is a permanent one instead of the tractor we had before. They have tons of shade and they can even dig a little (they are so used to wire, they walk alond the outside of the cage (I have 1 ft in of hardeware cloth so they will not did out). It is 14ftx14ft. They had so much room, they were so happy!

So glad to hear they are okay from the storm. I have a rabbit hutch that keeps my 4 rabbits separate from one another but my two smaller rabbits are contortionists and climb through to the other cages. I was thinking of changing to a colony. Let up know how it goes and it everyone continues to get along.

Glad to hear everyone is okay! I would love to see pictures of your colony set up. I'm very curious about how that works. Are they meat rabbits?

We have been doing the colony for a while and they are doing great. They are actually show quiality pedigreed Holland Lops. One is a grand champion, one is her daughter, and the other doe has several grand champions in her pedigree. The male has a few. www.lopsbyleah.com

We got the idea from a breeder here in Oklahoma. It will be a little more difficult at first when they are young. We have not had an babies yet (too hot), so when the little ones are born, if we have two or three litters at a time with some of the same colors, I will have to mark them (either with a permanent marker, or nail polish) so I can keep the pedigree correct, until they are old enough to tattoo. I have a grow out cage for when they wean until they fiind homes.

We are leaving on a trip to Texas, when I get back I will go get some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom