Got our toes wet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Aug 28, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well my friend is having a BBQ Monday for Labor Day. We were talking and he mentioned some chicken would be nice to go with the hotdogs, burgers, etc, etc he was going to have. "Well," I said, "those roosters are just about ready." So off we went.

I'm surprised, it went really smooth. Gave them the big chop, hung them up, and let them bleed out. A minute and a half in 150 degree water and those feathers just begged to come out. It amazed me. All the horror stories you here about how hard it is made me nervous.

[​IMG]

Well, it took us about forty-five minutes to do both. Can’t wait to try them!!! Now we have all 36 other cornish roasters to do!!:eek:

[​IMG]

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Looks like good eats!!!

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    You scaled them for a minute in a half in 150 degree water? Normally we only dunk them for 30 seconds at the most. Did the skin rip at all?

4. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I love how in the first picture, the little girl is playing with the foot [​IMG]

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No, that's what surprised me.

I've been in charge of feeding and taking care of the birds. My friend is in charge of making the plucker, knowing about the butchering, and getting all the stuff ready for that. He said 150 for 1:30 so I went with it. I read later in my book 130 for 30 seconds or something like that would have been fine. I guess we know why the feathers came out so easy! [​IMG] Now the meat will probably be tough. But oh well, they were pretty young still. Hopefully that will counteract some of the screw ups on our part.

Quote:They were fascinated how when you pulled on the tendon, the foot would flex. Kids just don't see stuff like that anymore. [​IMG]

6. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:No, that's what surprised me.

I've been in charge of feeding and taking care of the birds. My friend is in charge of making the plucker, knowing about the butchering, and getting all the stuff ready for that. He said 150 for 1:30 so I went with it. I read later in my book 130 for 30 seconds or something like that would have been fine. I guess we know why the feathers came out so easy! [​IMG] Now the meat will probably be tough. But oh well, they were pretty young still. Hopefully that will counteract some of the screw ups on our part.

Quote:They were fascinated how when you pulled on the tendon, the foot would flex. Kids just don't see stuff like that anymore. [​IMG]

That's really interesting that the skin didn't rip at all. If we go just a couple seconds over we get the ripped skin. Well let us know how the meat is!

That's okay, I still play with the feet when we chop them off too. Maybe I'll make a key chain out of one [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like a success!

I don't think I'd want to try drying out an adult chicken foot... Boy that might smell funky if it didn't dry out fast enough or got damp some how. A baby chick foot from a day old does dry out very crispy though and keeps well if you want a keychain foot.

We normally eat feet here. If you scald the feet with the body, the foot skin will slip right off like a sock and you can use it along with gizzards, hearts, and so on to make a good broth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by