Got pecked to death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spartan22, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    My 24 wk old Australorps w/ broken leg got pecked to death this morning when she got stucked in the corner of the run, my fault, I should had separated her last night[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! That's rough. Chickens can be pretty relentless when there is an injured member. Sorry for your loss!

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Ouch, I am sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

I am sure this will have been a learning experience for you. I haven't had any broken legs yet. But the flock is definitely brutal on any weaker chickens, unfortunately. Enough sometimes to make me think twice about keeping them. I just can't stand meanness to the weak. [​IMG]

Maybe she wasn't going to make it, or was already passed when they pecked at her? [​IMG]
    I for one don't know how to set a leg. And I won't be able to take every chicken to the vet if we do have an injury. I will try to help those I can. We will eat those I can't.

Maybe try better next time....

At least you don't have to worry about it being illness and infecting the rest of your flock. Do you mind if I ask how the leg got broke? Sometimes I step on the chickens when they are all running around under me, accidentally. But I can see how easy it could happen.

Good luck!

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Huh! Came home Saturday night found her with missing feathers on the tail area with some blood. She hurt her leg from the in-swing door couple of months ago and was limping on one leg since. I should had separated her last night, they wouldnt had pecked deep on the same bloody spot.

Yep chicken can be very cruel to the weak, didn't realized it till Sunday morning when she made out 20 feet in the middle of the run from the coop pecked dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by