Got pics, anyone been allergic to chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by squiqwe, Jun 26, 2010.

1. squiqwe

squiqwe In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Cortland,Ohio
    These are our first chicks 4 australorps, 4 slws and 1 blue slikie. We never thought having chicks would be such an amazing feeling! We already want more. My wife is awfully allergic to the silkie chick. She got hives from handling her! Has anyone experienced this. Did it pass as the silkie grew?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    I dont know if it will pass as the silkes grows but you wife may be able to build her immune system to tolerate the chicken

3. squiqwe

squiqwe In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Cortland,Ohio
    I hope so because this is her chick. When I ordered she asked for a silkie.[​IMG]

4. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Use an OTC anti-histamine like benadryl or reactine I perfer the liquid i find they work better... take the meds 20 min before being near the chickens and see what happens...slowly lower the dosage until she can tolerate it

5. turbo13

turbo13 Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Found Your New Babies. Too Cute! I Wished I Was Able To Find A Silkie Around Here No Luck.about Being Allergic,i Too Get Very Itichy When I Handle To Kids. If I Let Them Sit On My Bare Arms I Get Welts. Dont Know If Its The Bird Themselves. Or From The Dirty Feet. Poop. I Have To Wash With Hot Water And Soap.right After I Play With Them. Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by