Got pips & humidity at 62% - do I do anything?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OCchickens, Feb 12, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Day 20 here with pips in most of the eggs, and cheeping. Humidity has been steady at 62-63% last 2 days. I was keeping it a little low because I was concerned air cells were small. Should I try to increase the moisture without opening the bator, and how?[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. danielnv

danielnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    I'm a newbie too, but people are using a number of methods to get water in through the air vents. Some use a small air hose like for an aquarium pump, hooked up to a small syringe, or a turkey baster (not sure if that one would fit the vents in mine). If you have a vent hole with a direct path to your water channels or tray, with no eggs in the way, you could just slowly pour it in. I had to use an extra sponge in mine, and got the humidity up to about 75% that way. I think it wouldn't hurt to open the bator quickly, and put in a wet sponge, and then close her back up pretty quick.

Did you candle the eggs before you raised the humidity?

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Yes, I candled on day 18 & air cells seemed more like day 14. I've read some places saying to aim for 65-70% during hatching, so with it being 63% I'm wondering if it's worth messing with it... of course I don't want no sticky chicks! [​IMG]

4. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Here's an ameracauna - looks like she might be the first out!
    [​IMG]

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I wouldn't worry about your humidity at 62%. As soon as the first one hatches I'll bet it will jump up to near 70%. That's what happened to mine just yesterday with the first hatch. Good luck to you.[​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    That should be fine. It will have a few spikes as they hatch. I found over 70% I start running the risk of drowning them and at 75% there are definitely problems. I pull vent plugs before it gets that high now. I also have hatched at 55% this past winter when everything was frozen and dry with no problems. Some of my highest hatch rates. 60% is a good starting point for the hatch and it will spike up to about 65% possibly higher depending on how many eggs hatch at once.

7. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    THat's just what happened - up to 70% now -- and here she is!!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O how cute. Looks like a brown egg has pipped too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by