Got problems with constructing roofs and rafters?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by conny63malies, Sep 28, 2011.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I found easyrafters.com has a free 30 trial download for their software. Its super easy to use. You just pick what kind of roof, how wide the roof is supposed to be, overhang, slope..... and then you can print out your plans for rafters for your project. 30 days is plenty to print several sizes and kinds of roofs for future projects. It even works on mini coops that only have a 3ft roof span.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Cool info............. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    When making a coop's new roof frames:
    you must make one that is perfect and then copy the parts off that original.
    then you must litterally clamp each copy's parts directly too the original before you nail the copy together,
    so that they will match when you install it.

note:
    There is a loose board shoved in at the tip of the original and the copy "A" frame.
    This loose board hold the space for the center spine board of the finished roof.

[​IMG]

here are all the "A" frames installed in a row (my daughter too) with the center spine installed.
    [​IMG]

See, it came out pretty darn streight... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I will def. keep you pic and tip in mind when building my coop/s. I want them to look better than my homemade dog house. (hey its still standing and with our winds and weather thats a good thing) . Do you suggest using pressure treated lumber for the roof and framing as well?

6. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    ALWAYS USE TREATED LUMBER!

it is worth the extra money....

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:When it comes to roof supports I prefer non treated............... treated wood tends to warp so bad after it starts to dry and then after it's all up and set it will twist like all get out. Treated wood is for ground contact mainly where twisting and warping isn't that big an issue and easily replaced if need be. I am a building contractor and avoid treated would wherever I can for that reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by