Got rid of MAJOR mite infestation with NO chemicals or Pesticides

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anniethedog, Oct 5, 2013.

1. anniethedog

anniethedog New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi all -

I spent hours on the internet looking for ways to solve the mite problem naturally and didn't find a good answer, so I cobbled together bits and pieces of information and tried a few things of my own and came up with plan that worked.

There is a way to get rid of mites without chemicals and pesticides BUT it does take a lot time and a lot of effort. We only have 5 chickens, so this may not work for people with a bigger flock.

We were gone for the summer, and the friends taking care of the chickens didn't notice a problem brewing. By the time we got home it was out of control.

The chickens were covered with mites and they pulled out many of their feathers. The coop was infested and we carried mites into the house on our clothes and got covered with bites at night. The chickens had also walked in the garden, so mites were all over the plants and we got covered just by walking outside.

Here's what I did that worked:

1) Bath the chickens outside in a big tub. The water was swimming with mites. When you are done with the water pour it down a drain or someplace away from the chickens. I blew them each dry so I could see if I got rid of all the mites. Yep, used a hairdryer :)

2) Move the chickens to a new location - I used the a storage room. I sprinkled the floor with DE before I put shavings down. I gave each hen a dust bath in DE. We never saw a mite in the new location so the bathing worked.

3) Before you go back into the house, remove all your clothes. Then and shower and wash your hair. Use the towel to pick up the clothes, roll it in a ball to avoid getting any mites on you and throw it all in the washing machine. Do this every time you go near the coop or you will have then in your bed like we did.

4) Power wash the coop. When they get water on them, mites will crawl out of the hiding places. We has thousands of them Let the coop dry out. Spray it with a hose and see if mites still come out. If they do, power wash it again. I had to power wash ours three times over the course of a week.

5) Take out anything wood in the coop and power wash it too.

6) I sprayed the garden with Neem Oil.

7) Once I was sure the coop was mite free, I sprayed all the crevices with Need Oil and then dusted the coop with DE before putting in shavings.

8) I now check them every couple of weeks for mites. I also check the coop by spraying a little water in the cracks to see if anything crawls out. Gratefully we are mite free! It was quite an ordeal...

I hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

So wonderful- thanks for sharing this! (My flock is too large to do this with but I am so happy that you got rid of your mite problem!)

[​IMG]

3. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    good to know. thanks for sharing

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] great that it worked for you, Neem is relatively safe , I use it on houseplants. You don't need gloves or haze mat suits.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Thank you sharing!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I have heard the best way to get rid of a severe mite infestation is to burn the coop down and start over - may be less labor intensive!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - glad that your method worked. 1muttsfan suggests a good back up plan. [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG] TY this is good to know.Thankfully I have not had a mite or flea problem yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by