Got rid of rooster and my hen started laying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckychick, Sep 4, 2009.

1. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    what is the youngest age a hen can have babies? My hen is about 23 weeks old or more and she finally laid an egg five days after we got rid of the rooster. I cracked open the first egg and it appeared to be fertilized, so I put two in the bator. I told my husband she was too young and the eggs were too little, but he wanted me to try. I have heard the hens store semen for about three weeks, is this right? But I also heard she is too young.

I guess we will try anyways, we only kept the rooster as long as we did so we could get some chicks, but he got annoying considering we live in the suburbs. Any advice?

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    My hens did the same thing at exactly the same age. I never tried to incubate the eggs. I hope you get some cute little fluffy chicks from it.

Now that my hens are another month old, and the eggs are no longer fertile, they are starting to want to sit on them. They are such birdbrains....But I love em anyway. May have to get myself another rooster.

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    As long as you saw fertility, you can try.

4. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    Great, so you think it's possible? Woo hoo. I loved that roo too....I feel like this are my kids in that bator. LOL
    I guess I didn't love the roo enough to keep him. He would chase me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by